Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And so it goes…

Joel and I have resided in our apartment for 4.5 years. Every time our lease is about to expire, it begins a series of discussions in our house.  I am ready for a change. I want a neighborhood that I can go running in or where I can take Carson on walks- once it’s not negative 532145 degrees outside. I want another bedroom and maybe even a basement for extra storage. Basically, I just want to like where I live. Our apartment was great when I was working full time, but now I am home with Carson all day, I really want to be somewhere that feels like ‘home’.

As for Joel, I think he could quite possibly be content dying here. He doesn’t have do to yard work. He doesn’t have to fix anything. He doesn’t have to shovel snow. He is a minimalist and when I suggest needing more space he replies, “ Just stop buying things and we’ll have plenty of room.” Oh, that will work with a growing child. NOT!

And so it goes, do we stay or do we move? Am I being selfish and superficial and materialistic and impatient because I am ready to move and we don’t really need to? I’d like to think I am being practical and doing what is in the best interest of our family {and my sanity} because let’s face it: If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!

However, then I think about the packing and cleaning and unpacking and setting  up utilities and cable and internet, and I think, “Maybe it’s not so bad here.”

Oh boy. And so it goes…

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Packing and unpacking and setting up utilities BLOW.

But it's so worth it. :)

Move!

Nicki said...

You're so not alone. It was totally me that drove that decision. It pretty much came down to "if you think you're going to go back to school, I'm going to be comfortable home with our kids". Jake still sometimes says, "we could live in an apartment...it would be so much cheaper..."

Colleen said...

I think it is biologically hard-wired into a woman to want a real home once she has a child. Seriously. Plus, how much would you love having a yard for Carson to play in? It's absolutely not a selfish desire. That's my two cents. :)

Lindsey said...

It seems like most husbands are tightwads and want to live in apartments forever...because they don't spend 24/7 hanging out there like we do! If you want to move DO IT! I'm already to move out of St. James and we've only been here for 2.5 years so I can only imagine how ready you are!

Miranda said...

MOVE!

heather said...

Do what feels best, but I think I would move. :)

Kristen said...

OH Whit, I am in the same boat you are...though we already own a house but it's getting too small for my liking. You can say, yes, this fits us for what we need, but it sure doesn't fit my wants. Be happy you are in the situation where you can think about moving and buying-we will be stuck here for another 5 years. But, moving won't be all that bad. You will have more space to through those boxes until you decide to unpack them!

Melissa said...

Totally on your side. I did 3 kids in a townhome with no yard for a bit, and I about lost my sanity. As Carson becomes increasingly mobile, your apartment is going to feel increasingly smaller. I say MOVE!

Chelsea said...

and the tax credit is extended...it's a great time to buy!!! The moving part is over quickly, and it's a great reason to purge!!! But do consider that once you get a new place, and a bigger place, you spend more $$$ on the stuff that you put into it! Which is another reason to get $8,000 back in a sweet tax return! :)