Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fall Cleaning

I spent last night transitioning my wardrobe from warm to cold. It is no small ordeal, but it is one of my favorite things to do. In the process, I try on every single piece of clothing to decide whether or not to keep it. Most things are keepers, but there are those few items I keep because I think I will wear it and just can’t part with it. This year was different though. Now that I am a mom, I feel I need to dress the part and really be age-appropriate. I do not want to be one of those moms/women who dresses 10+ years her younger- and you all know what I’m talking about! Sooner or later, the Forever 21 will have to go and I will have to step foot into Ann Taylor. Suffice it to say, I was sick of looking at that red Express sweater from my senior year {of high school}, my old platform shoes, and way too many polk-a-dotted items. So, I did a major purge and it felt good! Now my closet is truly filled with things I will wear and not intend to wear. Plus, hopefully the clothes that I purged can go to someone who really needs them.

Now, I am no fashionista, but I thought I would share a few things I realized in the process:

1. If you still have clothes from high school and graduated over, oh, 8 years ago, let them go.

2. Black and white are staples of a good wardrobe. Classic and easy to accessorize.

3. Don’t keep a variety of sizes that simply do not fit. By the time you gain/lose weight, you most likely won’t want to wear those things anyway. Maternity clothes are exceptions.

4. A girl can never have too many shoes. Can I get an amen?

5. Designer jeans are worth every penny. Can I get an AMEN!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN! I only disagree on the variety of sizes issue. I keep pants and shirts in two or three sizes larger than I currently wear for post-pregnancy (fourth trimester) and nursing. I do have one pair of white trouser pants from high school that I love and still get compliments every time I wear them, but I think it's time to toss the football jerserys that haven't seen the light of day in a decade!

We are 3. said...

I completely agree with the post pregnancy stuff.. I should have included that!

Lindsey said...

Amen to designer jeans. I think you end up saving money because they last longer and they fit a lot better. Casey even tells me that he approves of me buying designer jeans.

Laur said...

designer jeans are the best investment ever.
I know people would pee their pants to know I have spent $150 dollars on a pair of jeans but guess what, worth every cent. I only buy Big Stars personally but I'm not against branching out to another great brand if you know of one :)

Kristen said...

I did the same thing this weekend, but with all the kids stuff. I hate being pregnant when the season changes because you can't really purge everything since you don't know what you'll be like after baby. But I'm totally with you about clothes from high school, especially dresses. Dresses never seem to wear out, but they look totally dated from high school to now.

Unknown said...

I just did the same thing, funny how half my closet was clothes from High School or post pregnancy. Now my closet is so bare. I think I need to take your advice and buy some Designer jeans.