Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Anniversary

Not to brag or anything, but I have the best husband ever! Not only did he plan a little getaway for us, he also took me back to a place near and dear to my heart; Washington DC. You see, that is where we decided to spend the rest of our lives together, and then 9 months later where I agreed to be his wife. He is so 'romantical'!

On the night of our anniversary, we were able to go out ALONE for the first time without Carson, and it was marvelous, simply maaahvelous!! Am I bad mom because I enjoyed every second? {Joel was hilariously cute and kept wanting to call to check in. It was his first time leaving Carson with someone besides me, so he was just a worried little pops!} We went downtown and did the monuments at night. That is, in my opinion, THE ONLY way to see them! They are gorgeous and seem so much more magnificent lit up. WOW.
We spent time on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where he proposed, to reminisce about the past 5 years and dream about the next 5.

I know this pic is blurry, but in the other one we took, you cannot tell where we are, and that is precisely the significance of taking this picture.

We strolled hand in hand through the city and other monuments, just he and I. And, you know what I realized? I am one lucky girl! Sure I knew it before, but he solidified it that much more. What a perfect night!

The rest of the trip we spent QT with our little family and Joel's two siblings who live in DC. We had a picnic in Great Falls National Park, went to Mount Vernon, and saw the battlefield of Manassas(battlefields really aren't much to look at!).
Great Falls:

Mount Vernon:

Battlefield of Manassas:



Joel and I were laughing at this picture because one day this will be us, with all of our kids, not nieces and nephews. Are we sure we want 4 kids???

Oh, I also played my first game of Hearts and am addicted. I totally sucked, but watch out Tom and Amanda! Next time we see each other, it is ON!

I couldn't have asked for a better weekend, besides more sleep and less humidity. Carson chose a very inconvenient time to cut his two upper teeth, as he would only sleep if he were attached to me, but he was a trooper the rest of the trip, so I can't complain.

We were sad to leave, not only because we hate to see vacations end, but also because we have many friends and other family in the DC area that we did not get to see. I guess that means we will just have to go back sooner than later. We absolutely LOVE it there.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Fun! Also great to see pics of Sean's kids - I haven't seem them in a while. Happy 5th! Glad you had a fun getaway. You two are a darn cute couple.

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm going to start calling Joel McDreamy... he's so romantical! Seriously, that was very sweet and I'm impressed with his careful sentimental planning. I'm not sure Ryan even knows when our anniversary is.

Amanda said...

I wouldn't say you totally sucked. That game lasted a lot longer than it sometimes does! We loved seeing you guys. We hate that we hardly ever see you!

Jodee Luke said...

Way to go Joel!!! That's so nice to have family there to watch Carson so you could spend time together! Cute pics!

Colleen said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Hearts is the official family game, I can't believe we haven't played with you before!

I love D.C. too, that's why Jim is applying for jobs out there right now. :)

(Way to go, Joel.)

Kristen said...

Okay Whit! My house is only um 10 minutes from the Manassas Battlefields! I am so bummed that I didn't know you were here. Maybe that's why I have been thinking about you this whole last week. How fun to have such a good time away. And that picture of the two of you looks totally fake-like you were super-imposed on it. Happy Anniversary and I'm glad you have such a wonderful hubby. You deserve it!

Miriam said...

What a fun anniversary!! props to Joel. Really, that looks so fun. aww vacations...I want one!

scott and linds said...

FUN FUN FUN!! I still remember when Joel proposed to you out there! How great that you got to go back and I really can't believe its been 5 YEARS!!! WHAT!!?? That is awesome! Congrats guys! Those 4 kids look gooooooood on you two!! haha ;) seriously though!

Josh Hatch said...

Looks like a ton of fun, I am jealous!!!!

Sarah said...

How fun!!! Joel did a GREAT job... I think all of us other wives are going to make sure our hubby's see this post:) I can't believe how big Carson is getting!

seanandmichelle said...

The other day we looked at the same picture of your family and our kids, and we looked at each other and asked if we really wanted to add a fourth. It was scary to think that is how it is going to be. We are so glad you came, and we miss you! Joel has seriously got to give his older brother lessons on how to be a bit more romantic.