Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Q & A

Since the cat's out of the bag, I have had numerous questions about how I feel, my cravings/diversions, emotional state, etc. Enjoy a tell-all with my experiences thusfar...

1. My once beloved Mexican food is now repulsive. Everything from the meat, to cheese, to the salsa- YUCK! I get the willies just thinking about it. I cannot drink milk either. There is something about it that upsets my stomach so I am on a calcium supplement. That means no more cereal. :( But, I have fallen in love with Eggos. Leggo my prego eggo!

*side-note: While lying in bed one night around 10 weeks, I was feeling terrible. All I wanted to do was sleep so I could wake up feeling better. My endearing, thoughtful husband dared to suggest I go eat chips and salsa to feel better. I immediately smacked his back, turned away from him, burst into tears and literally cried myself to sleep. I think he learned his lesson.

2. I would say I have experienced the "usual" morning sickness- if there is a usual. Mine is more evening sickness and just comes in waves during the day. Yes it is getting {much} better, but I still don't feel great yet. Overall I cannot complain- I can count on my hands how many times my head has been in a toilet. This is pretty much how it has been:
When I get hungry, I feel sick.
When I eat too much, I feel sick.
When I am tired, I feel sick.

Having snacks stashed in my purse has saved me! Joel has reaped the benefits of my peanut butter and chocolate chip granola bars too!

3. Reading The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy was a highlight of the first trimester. It's a light-hearted look at pregnancy and everything we women go through. Very entertaining. My favorite topics?
"I think I hate my husband" and
"I want it and I want it now"

4. I L.O.V.E. naps! I got really good at sleeping in the middle of the day for 1.5-3 hours, depending on my schedule and still sleeping at night (with numerous potty breaks). Yes, I have continued working and did not miss a wink, I just made sure I made time for a siesta! A girl has got to get her beauty sleep, especially when her body and nature are working against her!

5. "You are a personal trainer, so I am SURE you have still been exercising." Yes and no. Have I walked and done light cardio? Yes. Have I strength trained? No. However, because I am starting to feel better, last week I started to get back into a light, prenatal routine. It felt really good to get my heart going and I plan to continue (within reason).

6. The lady-like term... passing gas! All I have to say is poor Joel. Please tell me I'm not the only one! And, I hear it only gets worse!

7. Crazy, vivid dreams! For example, three times I have jumped off the bed or couch and yelled for Joel to come kill the spiders- with the latest episode just hours ago! Each time my knight in shining armour came to the rescue, but there was not a spider in sight. He laughed it off, but I continued to search because I was SURE it was real. I am not even scared of spiders, so who knows where that is coming from? Where is Joseph to decipher my dreams when I need him?

8. Yes, I cry easily. I cried watching the American Idol finale, I cried watching Wimbledon, I cried watching the Olympic trials, and I have cried watching the news. Everything is just so touching. Sniff, sniff.

9. Speaking of sniff, sniff... my sniffer is in overdrive. Working around sweaty people with stinky BO does not help. I've had to control some pretty serious gag reflexes a few too many times while personal training.

10. I finally graduated from AAA into A. I should get a certificate of completion for that! I have never been well endowed and won't ever be unless I visit Dr 90210, but they are bigger than they have ever been and I am thoroughly enjoying it. In fact, one of my bra straps just snapped on me while I was getting ready! Talk about busting at the seams!

That's all I can think of right now- I am sure there will be plenty more "fun" things to look forward to!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You dork, you should have told me a big HELL NO to Conejito's!!!!

Mexican is all I've wanted lately...isn't pregnancy weird??

Unknown said...

Oh, I have so much to say! First, my condolences to Joel. Ryan almost left me during my first trimester with Layla, but it's been better this time. When I'm pregnant I can't eat (or even smell) ripe bananas, raw onions, or cooked mushrooms (but I still LOVE mexican food). Unfortunately, the gassiness does get worse, and I almost had my nose surgically removed after walking through the Portland airport and smelling everyone in a 10 foot radius. Gross!

But congrats, because it's all worth it!

Colleen said...

You are too funny! I really liked "Girlfriend's Guide" too. One thing I remember about being pregnant is that if I got hungry, watch out. You do not keep a pregnant girl from food if you don't want to risk your life. And oh yes. The gas. Wait until the hemorrhoids.

More good news for your AAAs. When your milk comes in they get HUGE! I'm talking going from a barely B to a barely D. Awesome.

Lindsey said...

I felt the same way with Mexican food! Even thinking about eating a tortilla made me gag... and the bra thing, it's exciting to finally buy bigger sizes. It's great for a change!

Kristen said...

Wow! All we could have ever wanted to know and more. I'm glad you are up and around. Pregnancy has so many wonderful (hah!) things that come with it. Enjoy this small stage now because it will only change. However, I don't think that smell thing will ever change. You will now have a hyper-sensitive nose. You will walk in the room and smell a messy diaper or something gross when no one else can.

Oh, and same thing that Angelica said. When your milk comes in, watch out. You will have 2 huge hot hard rocks in your shirt.

Teisa Linscott said...

wahoo.... congrats. Thats funny I loved, loved, loved mexican food when I was prego. Anyway I happy for you.

Teisa Linscott said...

wahoo.... congrats. Thats funny I loved, loved, loved mexican food when I was prego. Anyway I happy for you.

Sarah said...

Just try to enjoy the way they look now because you never know how they are going to turn out after you have kids. My boobs have never been the same since I stopped pumping with Jackson, and I only did it for 3 months! I know way to much info but it is true with so many women, or at least the one's I have talked to. Or they are all just lying to me to make me feel better about myself:)

heather said...

Congrats!! I had no idea that you were expecting. I am so happy for you.
So take as many naps as you can. You've probably already heard that once the baby comes, you don't sleep as much. It's so true! So Yeah for naps! Anyways, I am just super excited for you and I'm glad that the baby is doing well.

Chelsea said...

Comment on number 6:

One day we had one of Sven's friends over and I just let the loudest...

I said excuse me! and ran out of the room. I realized then and there that my body was not my own and we could no longer have company over on account of my uncontrollable embarrassing pregnancy gas.