Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fitness Friday

Spring is upon us. For me, that means back to running outside (or  even running at all). As you know from my previous posts, most of my workouts have been in my house with my kettlebell, jump rope, stairs, and my very own bodyweight. I am so ready to hit the pavement and have some serious ‘me’ time.  YAY! I am so excited.

Running seems to be getting more popular by the moment, and dare I say ‘trendy’? Really, everyone I talk to wants to or is training to run a marathon(or half). In my mind, there is nothing wrong with jumping on that bandwagon. In fact, I think it’s great.  But, how many stick to their training schedules, withstand injuries, and actually finish their race? Not that many.

Admittedly, I would love to run a marathon and just haven’t found it in me to train that quite that much…

So, for all you ‘wannabe’s’ who have a goal to run a marathon, half or even just a 5k this year but don’t know where to start, here are 3 training programs to follow:

5K

Half Marathon

Marathon

Before you start the program make sure you have a good pair of shoes that fit your feet well and support your gait. Good shoes are more expensive, but if you want to enjoy running, make the investment. Trust me, your feet and knees and hips and back will thank me later!

If you are in the MKE area and would like to run some road races with me this Spring/Summer/Fall, let me know! I would love running buddies!

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

Is that the picture for the Utah Valley Marathon--I swear I've seen it in store windows all over Salt Lake!

Jodee Luke said...

I LOVE Hal Higdon! I've used his training in my halfs and my full and I think it's the best program out there. I would love to go running with you this spring/summer. I'm getting over shin splints (wore the wrong shoes during a long run and I've been on the treadmill too long that the pavement wasn't happy with me!) but once I get back in the groove we should get together. Do you have any favorite places to run?