Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Story...

January 20, 2009
7:30 pm- Check in to the hospital for induction. Why at night you ask? My doc had ordered a pill to be put up by my cervix to help soften and ripen it, as I was not progressing on my own. This pill is no miracle worker, or so I was told, and only puts 5% of women into active labor but helps tremendously when it comes to labor. We knew we were in for a long night...

9pm- IV needle is put in with no fliuds yet and on-call Dr.(youngest doc I have ever seen- 28 yrs old!!!) puts the first pill up there and said they would be back in 4 hours to check my progress. My mom and Joel settle in for a movie while I try to get some rest. I don't rest at all!! Anxiously watching the contraction monitor, I see they are close- every 2 minutes- but not strong or painful at all.

1am- Doc came back in to check my progress- NOTHING!! HMM. I was discouraged to say the least, but not surprised because my contractions were not stronger or closer. I get the second dose and try to REALLY get some rest this time.

2am- Awakened by really strong and consistent contractions. I breathe through them, trying not to bother my mom and Joel because I want them to get rest too. They continued to get worse.

3:10am- On my side watching the monitor, when I feel a trickle of water. Not knowing if it was my water or what, I turn on my back and feel a gush. I call the nurse and she confirms it's my water. My mom and Joel jump up in excitement. The nurse asks if I want an epidural, and at that time I could ride the contractions out, so I decline.

4am- GIVE ME THE EPIDURAL! First I had to be pumped with a bag of fluids which made me shake uncontrollably. The anesthesiologist came in and excused my mom and Joel from the room- good thing because Joel just saw the needle almost passed out. The Doc begins his magic! I feel it a little more on the right than the left so he adjusts it as best as he can. Pure delight! I was very happy with my epidural because I could still feel the pressure of the contractions but did not feel ANY pain.

5am- Doc comes back to check and I'm dilated to a 5 and tells me that Carson's head plugged my water from breaking completely. He breaks it all the way with his crochet hook, as Joel called it.

6am- Nurse comes in and I'm now dilated to a 9. I feel Carson dropping lower and lower. The nurse pages my Doc to let him know I'm almost ready to push.

6:45am- Fully dilated and effaced- waiting for the doc. I had the strongest urge to push but wanted my doc to deliver him, so I waited. Page the doc AGAIN!

7:20am- Doc arrives and checks me. He is really surprised how quickly everything went with no pitocin. He's not the only one!! Doc scrubs up and I do practice pushes.

7:40am- Start the full-on, real deal pushes. My mom has one leg, the nurse has the other, and Joel is my moral support by my head. I ask for the mirror so I can see what's going on down there too. I ask Joel if he wants to cut the cord, he declines.

8:25am- Carson Patrick is here!! Joel was brave enough to watch (in amazement, without getting faint) the entire delivery and cut the cord!!! Carson swallowed meconium, so I wasn't able to have him on my chest right after he was born. He had to get some help breathing and such too, to clear everything out.

He was so worth the wait!!

So here I am, 2 weeks later, reflecting back on what a miracle it is to have Carson in our lives. My recovery was/is easy. I feel great! I am SO ready to get back to exercising- my doc said any time after tomorrow I can resume IF my stitches don't bother me. I'll give it a go and see how I feel!

I think I'm ready to pop another one out...NOT!!!

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Great story! Jim didn't want to cut the cord at first either and thought he would be totally grossed out by the whole process, but he ended up thinking it was really cool and cut the cord after all. That's great that you didn't have to have pitocin! I've heard it's awful. Way to go and can't wait to see more pictures!

Chelsea said...

What an exciting and fun story. I love hearing everyone's experiences and comparing them to my own. I'm glad your experience with the epidural went well...mine was heaven as well! Jim misses you and updates me regularly on what he hears from/about you. :)

I remember feeling soooooo good at 2 weeks that I called the nurses and asked if I could start exercising. They 1) thought I was crazy, 2) told me to hold off because there was a good chance I was just 1 day away from an exhaustion-crash (my sleep deprivation wasn't affecting me, YET)...they were right. :) But hopefully that's not the case with you and you can get right back into it ASAP. :) Glad to hear everything is going well!

DeAnn said...

What a great story. Carson is just so cute.

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you did a great job!

The Lemler Clan said...

Our stories are so alike! Glad to hear you are doing well!!! He is such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats again - good job with everything! Glad to hear that Joel didn't pass out. Love the part about the crochet hook. Lol. Greg was giggling. See you soon!

Megan Kyle and Porter Cross said...

I like your last sentence. even tho you weren't serious... I miss being pregnant :(

Ben said...

I'm just glad to know that Joel cut the cord and didn't pass out. I didn't know you had it in you Joel.

Unknown said...

He was def worth the wait!!