Monday, May 18, 2009

Insignificantly Significant

Since dairy is off limits for me, I am missing some of my most favorite {guilty pleasure} foods: waffles, chocoalte, desserts, ice cream, and cheese, just to name a few. I have been trying to think of anything and everything to satisfy my {poor little, er I mean BIG) sweet tooth. Joel just cracks up at the things I have come up with. The other night I mixed cinnamon and sugar, sprinkled a tortilla with water, and dipped the tortilla in the mix. Desperate? Yes. Ingenious? I think so. It really helped and has now become a staple when I need something sweet. After not drinking caffiene for almost a year, my long lost friends Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper have made guest appearances to satisfy the urge too. When I can, I try to get caffiene free (yuck!), but at this point I will do ANYTHING for one, caffinated or not.

Case in point:
Today I was rummaging through the change in my wallet trying to round up 75 cents to get a drink. Most days, a nickel is quite insignificant. You can't buy much with just 5 cents these days. However, today was different. The nickel meant more to me than it ever has before, because I was 5 cents too short to get my "sweet fix" that I needed oh so badly. I scoured the car looking in the cup holder, the glove box, between seats, under the seats, and checked my pockets once more. I pretty much looked in any nook or crannie for a freaking nickel!! Low and behold, I found one. I was able to get my Diet Coke and it tasted marvelous. I will never look at a nickel the same way again.

There you have it. Insignificantly significant.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel so bad for you! Have you tried dairy-free sorbets? They're a poor substitute for ice cream, I know, but they're better than nothing. Also, a great drink that is pretty low cal/healthy is equal parts sprite zero and lite cran-raspberry juice with half that amount of OJ. Serve over crushed ice. YUM!

Laur said...

i am just going to email you

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

I am pretty sure Oreo's are diary free. I was on a no dairy diet too. Talk about hardships! Of course if you wanna dunk it in something just be sure it is SOY milk. =) Hang in there.