Monday, June 7, 2010

Cast Away.

As most of you have already heard through the social networking site that tends to kill my blog ‘news’, Carson has a spiral fracture in his tibia. Apparently this injury is so common in kids, it’s actually dubbed a ‘toddler fracture’. 

Joel found this article that basically details exactly how Carson was injured:

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2010/03/fun_that _kills.html

Moral of the story? Don’t go down a slide with your child. And, if you do and they get hurt, have their whole leg x-rayed. Everyone has asked how the doctors missed it in the first x-ray last week? Well, they only x-rayed his ankle and that came out clean.

As the week went on, I kept telling myself he was getting better. I really thought he was healing. Then, I started remembering all his uncharacteristic behavior- not being busy on his feet all the time, not wanting to bear any weight on it, not sleeping well at night, full ankle mobility yet still limping- my instincts told me there was something else wrong. And, there definitely was. I actually called Joel this morning before the appointment and said, “ I think it’s his leg. He’ll move his ankle and foot just fine but when I touch his shin he shudders and cries.”

Man, I feel like one crappy momma right about now. Why didn’t we notice earlier? My poor little guy has had a broken leg for a week and has been miserable. I know he will heal, and yadda yadda yadda, but my mommy guilt is tremendous. 

The good news is, is that it did not break all the way through and there will not be any long term or alignment/growth issues. He is only supposed to need to wear the cast 2.5 weeks and it IS waterproof, so it can’t be that bad, right? I just hope it makes his little leg feel better so he can go back to being my happy little guy.

Here’s his full leg cast in all its glory:

004

It goes almost all the way up to his hip.

003

Those are some sad, tired eyes after a long day in doctors offices.

005 Just getting a little R&R after the cast was put on.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

So, so sad. I seriously got teary looking at the photo of him in his little cast. Seriously, don't beat yourself up over it. The DOCTOR should have caught it, not you! Particularly as common as these breaks are! Poor little guy.

Cynthia said...

Oh... My heart goes out to you. I hope the cast helps all the pain go away, and he can sleep better now. And I hope you feel better too. After all, as Elmo's Potty Time says..."Accidents happen, and that's ok". :)

Jenna Anderson said...

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. Do you need anything? That has to be so hard having him in a cast. Hopefully he doesn't have to have it on for too long. We should get our boys together again sometime so give me a call whenever!

Sarah said...

Poor little guy!!! Whenever there is something wrong with your child it ALWAYS brings much added stress to your own life doesn't it???? Mommy's instincts are never wrong. Hope it heals quickly and things will get back to normal real soon for you guys.

Patten Family said...

Poor little kiddo. That is crazy the article you posted. Who knew! Lucky for Morgan - my stomach is too big to slide with her so she is on her own all the time. Hahahah.

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Same thing happened to my niece. When they take the cast off... he will probably walk a little funny, BUT, it will go away. Hang in there. Poor little guy. He is so darn cute!

Melissa said...

In March, Lucas had the exact same fracture, same cast (except ours was NOT waterproof), same color. Poor Carson - it's no fun. But at least it's a speedy recovery. Hang in there!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Erin climbed up on her changing "table" (actually a dresser) while I was vaccuming the living room. She was 15 mos. She cried, I comforted her, she fell asleep. She was fussy later that day, but we had out of town guests. I thought she was uncomfortable. It was Halloween...we took her trick or treating. She was fussy. I thought it was all the excitement. The next day she fussed whenever I touched her arm. I took her in to the doctor...buckle fracture. I felt awful! You are not alone! :)